Friday, December 10, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards Deserves To Rest In Peace

Elizabeth Edwards will be buried tomorrow here in Raleigh, NC.  She has been an unfortunate target this week of a bunch of religious nuts who want to criticize her for not being godly enough.  Aren't Christians supposed to refrain from passing judgement?  Isn't God supposed to be the only one who knows a person's heart?  I've argued with Christians about what it means to "pass judgement."  It seems to be a wild card that Christians throw out there when they're defending people they like.  Eddie Long is excused by some Christians (definitely not all) because "the facts aren't out there yet," and we "don't know his heart."  George Bush, Sarah Palin, and company are given the benefit of the doubt, simply because they say that they're Christians.  I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be believed, but I think that same courtesy should be extended across party lines by the religious right.  That's certainly not been the case when it's come to Elizabeth Edwards.  It could be because she was a lawyer, or because she had strong convictions that helping the less fortunate is more important than the wealthy getting tax breaks.  Either way, political affiliation does not constitute a person's level of religious conviction.

By now we've all heard about the Westboro Baptist fuckers who plan to protest at the funeral.  But that sort of lunacy has come to be expected from them.  It would be nice if the irrational criticism of a person's belief system ended there, but it doesn't.  This horrible shit of a man is questioning her faith, and her spiritual capacity:  "Still, at her death bed and giving what most folks are calling a final goodbye, Elizabeth Edwards couldn't find it somewhere down deep to ask for His blessings as she prepares for the hereafter? I guess that nihilism I've been discussing reaches up higher into the hard-left precincts than I thought."  Donald Douglas, you are a serious piece of shit.  Too bad there's not a hell for you to burn in.

For those of you who don't know Edwards' personal theology (which none of us truly do), she has been quoted in the past, saying "I have, I think, somewhat of an odd version of God. I do not have an intervening God. I don't think I can pray to him -- or her -- to cure me of cancer....I don't believe that we should live our lives that way for some promise of eternal life, but because that's what's right. We should do those things because that's what's right."  This is what some Christians are angry about?

No comments:

Post a Comment